Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Everything happens for a reason.

I've been absent these past few days-- with good reason. Within 24 hours of accepting my Peace Corps invitation I received news that a close family member had been diagnosed with cancer. Without divulging too many of the details, we were all devastated. Traveling to other side of the world no longer sounded appealing, I want to be home, with my family. A no brainer. My family will always come first. So it is with sadness in my heart I declined my invitation to serve in the Peace Corps-- however no regret or reservation. I am still eligible to apply again, but I'll have to go through the same painstaking process.

For those of you who know me, I am a firm believer that EVERYTHING happens for a reason. Life has thrown a curve, my family with adjust, I will adjust. I was at an event last week, the day I got the invitation, a woman told me this excessive story about her friend writing a letter to Mother Theresa and how Mother Theresa wrote back saying that everyone should find their own Calcutta. So maybe my Africa is here? Does that make sense?

While my heart aches for a dream that didn't quite come true, and for the sake of my family, I am confident in my decision-- something big is meant for me here, and I will work endlessly until I find it.

1 comment: