Saturday, March 23, 2013

The things I've learned

I've been struggling with how to sum up a life changing month of travel, and I don't think I will ever be able to fully articulate all of my thoughts.

I am fortunate beyond belief to have had the opportunity to enjoy seven different countries with such different cultures and histories. 

While I’d love to be able to list all the things this trip has taught me, it would be quite impossible to encapsulate all the things I learned about the world and myself during my month is Europe. Mostly because a lot of what I've learned is abstract, or haven’t even hit me yet. 

After some thought I have created a small list of concrete items that I have learned that I will carry with me in all of my future travels:

1. Some cities have more than one train station. Always look into that before getting off at a random train station in an unfamiliar city after dark where no one speaks English.

2. Going off of #1, if you know you're going to be arriving into a city after dark or on a weekend when things may not be open, be sure to be prepared and exchange some money into your destinations currency beforehand. You may not be lucky enough to have a Mcdonald's convert Euros into Czech Crowns for you. Also, a map wouldn't hurt either.

3. A lot of cities have companies that offer free tours! While there is no up front cost, it is recommended that you tip the tour guide, but it is still cheaper than most other big fancy tours-- especially if you're on a budget.

4. If you're traveling in the winter months bring a hat and gloves. Seriously, no matter how tough you think you are.

5. Staying in different areas of a city is a nice way to experience all the different sub-cultures without having to trek from one side of the city to the other every day.

6. Staying in a hostel? Headlamp, ear plugs, and eye mask. Waking up well rested ready for a new day of adventure is worth every ounce of embarrassment you may feel from those three very important accessories.

7. Eastern Europe? Be sure to bring travel toilet paper in your bag. I promise.

8. Staying in a party hostel the first night you arrive after an international flight is not a good idea. As much energy as you may think you're going to have, you will be jet lagged and want a clean shower.

9. Get to the train station early, always, no excuses. No one speaks English and trying to communicate always includes charades, and you still don't always get an answer. Leave yourself plenty of time or you'll be sprinting through a train station with a 30 lbs backpack weighing you down.

10. A Therm-a-Rest Compressible Pillow can get you through anything. 10 hour overnight bus? 24 hours of travel? Dirty hostel? Train ride? No problem. I will never travel with out this puppy.


Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment