Thursday, March 21, 2013

Vienna.


After the hills of Salzburg, the city streets of Vienna were a rude awakening. Our first night was spent in a less than ideal hostel, Jack’s Hostel, not recommended. Jack's was full of unfriendly, smelly people, who appeared to be living in the hostel, not just young travelers like us that we were running into at every other city.

After one night we were out of there and spent our next night at the Meininger Hostel, closer to town and in a nicer area. We started with a morning at the Oberes Belvedere to see Gustav Klimt's The Kiss painting.
We went to see the opera house, Wiener Staatsoper, and then spent our afternoon at the Frued Museum. 
We split up after, Keelin headed to the Snowglobe Museum and I went to the Das Wiener Riesenrad, a ferris wheel in the city amusement park. My trip wasn’t without some adventure. I had a little bit of a run in with the authorities. There was a debacle with the metro police-- I didn’t have the right metro ticket, they told me I had to pay a 100 Euro fine on the spot, I didn’t have the money, they threatened to call the police and arrest me. Eventually, the metro police just let me go and I got to ride my ferris wheel, but there were a couple minutes where it was pretty scary.



The next day we spent the morning at the Zentralfriedhof, one of the largest cemeteries in the world. It has more than 3 million people buried within its walls. Within the cemetery there are memorials for both Beethoven and Mozart.
The rest of our day was spent generally meandering the ring roads around the city. We got weiners on the street, Keelin got herself a beer, which is legal to drink in public. We had fun with that. 



Vienna was very big and had beautiful buildings, but not one of my favorites.

Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment